A good mentoring relationship can be transformational in many ways bringing confidence, knowledge and clarity to your professional life. The mentees on our programme can testify to this but would also point out that the results come about due to a lot of effort and input from both the mentor and the mentee.
You can amplify the impact of your mentor using these top tips from our experienced mentees:
- Set attainable and realistic goals. Work with your mentor to put together goals that feel achievable but also stretch your potential and make you grow.
- Be open and honest about everything with your mentor. If all your cards are on the table then they can help you and advise you in ways that you couldn’t even anticipate.
- Be ready to receive feedback positively and to use it constructively.
- Create an agenda with specific asks to keep you focused throughout your mentoring session and to get the most out of it.
- Show gratitude to your mentors and update them regularly on your progress.
- Ask meaningful and thoughtful questions. You can get the most out of mentorship when asking questions which make you think bigger, dive into the detail and drive your work forward.
- Plan some time to review the session and complete follow up actions.
- Make sure you keep an open mind to any new ideas.
- Don’t be afraid to challenge and debate with your mentor.
- Be flexible with your mentor, appreciate that they are very busy people and work around them.
If you are thinking that working with a mentor could be beneficial for you in developing your leadership skills, consider applying to our programme. We are recruiting for a new cohort in spring 2021 – see our website for how to apply.